Friday, July 28, 2006

Too many mosquitoes!


I've been trying like heck to get a photo of this magnificent Tiger Swallowtail butterfly in my woods. Probably won't have too many more opportunities because the thistle has stopped blooming and it will soon move on.

But the mosquitoes have been unbearable. I got at least 10 bites getting a shot of the butterfly that is so crappy that I won't even show it on the blog.

Anyway, here is one of the swallowtail I got the other day. Still not great... But, man, repellant isn't working...

And here is another Red Admiral, too.

4 Comments:

Blogger Pamela said...

I chased a damn butterfly all over the yard and across the street and lost him in Bill's garden. Then I saw him/or his twin at the house next to us.

After 1/2 hour I gave up. It was either a swallotail, or one of the look alikes. However, it was the biggest one I've ever seen.

But I blame my obsession on you and all you lovely butterfly pictures.

}|{ (butterfly!)

2:00 AM  
Blogger Gayle said...

The pictures look great to me, Walker.

Here's a tip about something to repell the mosquitoes. If there is an Avon representative in your area, buy some "Skin So Soft!" Mosquitoes hate the stuff! I used to fish a lot in Louisianna and the Mosquitoes were really thick there. I used Skin So Soft and never had a problem.

10:29 AM  
Blogger Walker said...

LOL Pamela! Here is a butterfly hunting tip. They fly in circles, sometimes very wide circles. So if you stand in one place and watch them, a lot of times they will come right back to where they were before. But if you want butterflies, be sure to grow some milkweed next year. You'll get a lovely fragrance when it blooms!

Gayle, I've heard that about that product. Thanks!

11:34 AM  
Blogger juanitagf said...

Gayle is right. I don't know what it is about Skin So Soft, but mosquitos hate it. We've used it for years. And it makes your skin soft and doesn't stink like most repellants.

12:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home