Thursday, July 13, 2006

Down yonder in the pawpaw patch



We had no pawpaws last year that I know of. I looked for them but the season was very dry. This year it has rained every week and sometimes more than one day a week. You need a lot of rain for a good pawpaw crop.

For some reason, pawpaws refuse to be photographed. I can't get a good picture for anything. Probably because I am always swatting mosquitoes down there in the freaking patch. Neither photo accurately shows the color of a pawpaw. The top photo is too green and the bottom is too blue. The fruit is a very light green at this stage and it goes brown and spotted as it ripens.

Right now they are a little bigger than plums, but nothing like the ones this fella has. Who ever saw a pawpaw this big?

Here's another pawpaw photo that sucks just as bad as the first. But I think you can at least see in the photos the huge (untoothed) leaves of the scraggly "Indiana banana" tree.

7 Comments:

Blogger Walker said...

Well you are missing a treat! Choose a pawpaw that is tender to the touch. The taste is sort of like a banana. They don't keep well and you musn't eat the seeds.

10:18 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:59 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

I''m learning so much... first milk weed and now Pawpaws.

I'm going to put you on my to do list.

I've been so sheltered. ha ha ha ha

(I had to correct my misspelling)

11:00 PM  
Blogger Joubert said...

I would love to try a pawpaw. Papayas are called pawpaws in South Africa.

12:18 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

Fish, you grew up in Indiana and never ate a pawpaw? Next you will tell me you have never tried persimmon pudding!

9:36 AM  
Blogger Gayle said...

I know what milk weed is. We have it everywhere, but although I've heard of pawpaws, I've never seen one before, so I appreciate the pictures. :)

10:46 AM  
Blogger Pamela said...

Hey.. all you paw paws and maw maws....

I'm inviting you to come on over to my dusty place and take the quiz I was Tagged with......

I need to go make more coffee and get dressed before you show up tho,....

12:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home