Wednesday, October 11, 2006

I'm sure we can rustle up a free trailer for you, though

This is an email I got from someone who wants my business services free-ish. The parts in parentheses are redacted to preserve my privacy and hers.


I am a 62 year old lady that is attempting to supplement my income by (doing something I need your services for.) I do not have (the money to pay you). I sell Avon. Unfortunately, since I relocated to Raleigh from New Orleans because of the storm, I am not doing too well in acquiring new customers. (Can you give me your services at a lower price or on time?)

Pearl


After writing several pissy email drafts to Pearl, I decided to answer thusly:

Dear Pearl, No.
------
Sheesh. If you want a loan, see a freaking bank. People just think they are entitled to other people's work for free.

Now normally when I get such a request I usually write something like: We are a small business and the people who work here (read: ME) depend on the business to support their families. yadda yadda.

But the point is: Why do people think that because they are broke, they should get something for free. Being broke is the state that occurs when you aren't working. It is not the state that occurs when you aren't getting someone else's money or time. Or at least it shouldn't be.

4 Comments:

Blogger Pamela said...

banks only lend money to people who already have it


poor pearl

and did you say ps. your perfume stinks

giggle. meanie (:

4:49 PM  
Blogger Miss Trashahassee said...

Avon perfooms may be bo-rank stank, honey, but they sho nuff gots some fine julereys. i do likes their mens cahlonne, tho.

hey, if i give u some Avon julerey for colladderoll, wood ya give me some free money for free? If'n I aint never pays you back you can keep the julerey. Deal?

12:16 AM  
Blogger white trash republican said...

The older I get, the easier it is to just say No.
Of course, having a couple of pre-teen kids in the house helps alot,too!

You did the right thing.
Miz Pearl was probably setting up to scam you some how or another...or her check would bounce big time.

Oh and did I mention one gets more cynical with age, too?
; )

8:03 PM  
Blogger Joubert said...

The last time I said no to someone who expected something for nothing, they said, "Why do you have to be so rude?"

I just don't understand why people feel that they are entitled to anything except what they do for themselves.

12:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home