Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Good bye Maggie



This is the last photo I took of my dog Maggie. On Feb 20 or so she began limping and by Feb 29, she was completely lame, unable even to sit upright. She went to the vet four times in those 9 days. Cost us about $800 but in the end it turned out she had a ruptured disk and was bleeding in her spine.

Poor girl, was bright eyed and seemingly healthy to the end, making it so hard to put her down.

She stayed at one vet's office for two days and we came to visit her. She was sad and scared, but no better. The vet advised us to take her home for a few days and see if she improved. So we did. She had a really joyous reunion with the rest of our dogs. She wagged every part that moved and the other dogs came and leaped around her and barked and licked her. I bought her a snow sled so I could pull her 50 pound butt around because she couldn't move and couldn't even sit up.

But a few days later she was clearly alarmed and frightened that she couldn't move and she thought she should be able to. She rode on my lap to the vet's office and looked out the window. Then I held her as the vet gave her an injection and she died.

We miss her so much.

8 Comments:

Blogger Junebug said...

Oh my gosh, that is so sad. That is a cool mat she is laying on there, what is it? Is she the one in the picture when the others were playing in the snow and she was off by herself? Gosh, I'm so sorry. Life can be so sad sometimes.

12:01 AM  
Blogger Pamela said...

this made me relive my last few days with Karl Von Schwartz. He was my "bestest" ever dog --

Why do we get so attached to them. Sniff.

So Sorry Walker. But happy that Maggie had such a wonderful life with you.

3:05 AM  
Blogger Walker said...

THANKS Pamela and Junebug.

Junebug, Maggie is sitting on the sled I bought to pull her around on. Yes, she is the same dog in the other picture, all by herself in the snow. That was the last day she ever walked, I think.

7:21 AM  
Blogger Jamie Carin and Claudio Romano said...

Ohh no!!! I am so sorry! My cat is only like 5 or 6 years old but I already dread the time when we will have to make this sort of decision. Heartbreaking.

Jamie

8:55 AM  
Blogger Joe said...

My deepest sympathies for your loss.

9:40 AM  
Blogger Walker said...

Thanks Jamie and HB.

9:41 AM  
Blogger Ron Simpson said...

My heart goes out to you. I cut my honeymoon short by two days to drive back from Houston and say goodbye to my parent's dog. She was my dog, too. I found her when I still lived at home with them while going to college. Ginger was one of the best dogs ever. It is hard to make that decision.

4:03 PM  
Blogger Walker said...

Thanks Ron, and Pamela. Appreciate it. We're still missing Maggie. She just couldn't understand why she could not walk any more. And we couldn't either.But there is no such thing as a doggy nursing home. My hubby has missed her something awful.

9:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home