Wednesday, August 13, 2008

New England Journal of Medicine:
Don't bother with that messy death thing!

"Before the development of modern critical care, the diagnosis of death was relatively straightforward: patients were dead when they were cold, blue, and stiff. Unfortunately, organs from these traditional cadavers cannot be used for transplantation."

Yes... in short, modern cadavers, unlike traditional ones, are alive. Messy little detail.

Here is the 'uncomfortable truth' from the NEJM:

"The uncomfortable conclusion to be drawn from this literature is that although it may be perfectly ethical to remove vital organs for transplantation from patients who satisfy the diagnostic criteria of brain death, the reason it is ethical cannot be that we are convinced they are really dead."

Here's the uncomfortable conclusion of the NEJM: Hey! Let's not bother saying they are dead! Let's just say they are alive and get on with killing them!

Read the 'dead donor rule' (psych!) here.

4 Comments:

Blogger Gayle said...

Umm, I think I'll remove my name from the donor list! Sheesh!

2:24 PM  
Blogger Fish-2 said...

I think the only criteria I care about personally, is quality of life. If I cannot be medically returned to some level of quality, I don't care. If I must remain drugged, in hospital, and hooked up to machines to keep this carcass ticking, harvest away. Like my car, if I can no longer drive it, junk it. I got better things to do out there in eternity.

6:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not an organ donor. This would be one reason. Unfortnately, families often have a more pressing motivation to have someone declared "technically dead"--there's still some money in those bank accounts, and rather than pay for life support, it could being for them to have a nice cruise.

The culture of death ain't going anywhere.

BTW, I beed Michael Shiavo thanks God (or Lucifer) every night for the mainstream media. Where else could you probably put your wife in a near-coma and then, despite the fact she was clearly still alive, kill her legally, with all the TV cameras rolling, so you could get on with your new life?

And what's going to happen when the new wife in the new life ends up in a coma, or dead? What a tragedy! For poor Michael. Isn't it sad how his spouses keep suffering such mysterious outcomes?

Here's how you get away with murder in this country (ala O.J.): kill somebody in a circumstance that brings it under the umbrella of some favorite pet cause of the left. "I was trying to stop her from, uh, torturing an animal, and accidentally beat her repeatedly with a crowbar. I'm the victim here!" The left would lap it up, set up a legal fund for him, the ACLU would show up . . . what a great time in human history for folks who want to kill their spouses or hurry Aunt Mable on to her glory so they can finally get that china cabinet they've had their eye on all these years.

10:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I beed" . . . "I bet" . . . apologies for my dyslexic typing. I swear I read these things, and my brain makes them look right until after I've posted.

10:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home