Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Obama Wins; McCain Concedes

And I'm depressed. But, it happens. You win some, you lose some. We lost this one.

I watched McCain's concession speech. Profoundly inspiring and depressing at the same time. McCain was very gracious. Sounds like Obama was also a gracious winner. So, good.

Democrats are picking up seats in the House and the Senate. Not filibuster proof, but not good news, either.

It's going to be a tough, unpleasant, expensive ride until 2010.

Unfortunately, I was more optimistic about this thing than I really let myself believe. I've got no liquor in the house. This would be the perfect time to get a little sauced, and I did not plan ahead.

It's not all bad news. We got Sarah Palin. She may never be president, but I don't think she's just going to wither up and float away, either.

And I think the economy has serious problems which have been exacerbated by the bailout bill, rather than fixed. While, yes, the Democrats were actually to blame for most of this in the first place, there won't be any place to put it but right at their door. They'll have the Whitehouse. They'll have the congress and the senate. They will not be able to blame further market collapses on the Republicans.

And, believe it or not, it could have been worse. I'm thinking particularly of John Edwards or Dennis Kucinich. Either of these guys would have been much easier for McCain to beat, but, if elected, almost certainly worse for the country.

And, um, Obama speaks well. Um. I'm running out things. Guys, help me out.

There are a few unpleasant things to face. The judiciary and federal bureaucracy are going to be infected with radicals and liberals. However, we've been there, done that. It's a constant problem. I think this will be as bad as it has ever been, if not worse. But still, better than most of Europe.

Taxes are going to go up. For everybody. The economy is going to slow down. Our National Security may be jeopardized. Which will, at least, establish without a doubt that Democrats really are, after all, weak on defense. New energy sources will not be explored. Money will be thrown at alternative energies that produce no results, and drive the prices of fuel and food up.

Other stuff will be harder for Obama to do. Bankrupting the coal industry might be in his plan, but he's going to have a hard time getting all the Democrats he will need to make that happen to sign on. Legislation that will make national energy prices go up at every level will be less popular than Clinton's proposed VAT tax. Trying to silence Fox News and Rush Limbaugh will backfire. Majorly.

Still, I'm girding myself. This is going to be a bumpy ride.

Based on historical trends, an Obama victory was almost inevitable. I hoped that the American people, collectively, would be smarter than history. But you know what? They almost never are. C'est la vie.

Still, at the end of the day, I can understand Obama's appeal. I can find a lot to like about him. Sure, he's done some very questionable things and supports some suspect policies, but he never called 5 brave and innocent Marines murderers and rapists in a press conference, and elsewhere. He never referred to his own constituents as racists and ignorant. Meaning, I can understand why Barack Obama is our president elect. But I can't understand why John Murtha's constituents returned that worthless sack of excrement to the house. I really can't. I also can't understand Dick Durbin being rewarded for being a complete and utter jackass.

Barack Obama may loathe the military, but I don't know it. If he does, he at least has the good sense to keep it to himself.

That's it. I'm rambling. Walker's gonna revoke my posting privileges.

I'll finish it thusly: like it or not, Obama is now the President of the United States and Commander-in-Chief. His past does not bode well for his wise and responsible use of this revered office. But I hope, since then, he has changed.

-- Kevin

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Walker said...

One thing we do know: Republicans are not having a riot, something the Democrats vowed to do if they didn't win. Let's hope that in the space of the next 8 years, they grow up.

9:09 AM  
Blogger Kevin S. Willis said...

Now, let's not be silly. Of course they aren't going to grow up. Let's just hope enough of them are disappointed by The One's ability to pay all their bills and fix all their person problem they make the Dems pay in 2010, 2012 and/or 2014.

I really think things were pretty good with a Democratic president and a focused Republican majority in the house and senate. Gridlock in Washington is desirable. Maybe 2010 will bring us that again.

One can only hope.

9:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home