Thursday, August 10, 2006

Tagged

Born Again Redneck tagged me. Never been tagged before but I can't answer the whole tag thing. I'll just write about the ones I like:

One book that changed your life:
Slouching towards Gomorrah, Modern Liberalism and the American Decline, by Robert H. Bork. After I watched the OJ Simpson trial, I became a conservative and this was one of my first textbooks.

One book that made you laugh:
The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal, By Christopher Lamb. Draws heavily on the apochryphal gospels, such as the Gospel of James, to fill in the missing years between Christ's teaching in the Temple to the last days of his ministry. Very funny, fanciful tale that isn't as sacrilegious as it sounds.

One book that you've read more than once: Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre.
I still love the book, and it was once the subject of an unsettling encounter I had with a young liberal. I mentioned Jane Eyre in our conversation about favorite books and she enthusiastically said she loved it. I was deeply surprised because Jane Eyre is a book about devotion to truth and morality and the courage to live it at any cost. Liberalism is "end justifies the means" philosophy and so it values dishonesty as one tool in its arsenal and celebrates immorality. I was surprised and I told her so and she remarked -- without a trace of sarcasm -- that she thought it was the funniest book she ever read. I still find that troubling. She wasn't kidding. She thought the author wrote it cynically and you had to read it that way. Like science fiction.

I think of that book, now more than ever, and I know I wouldn't wonder if I would have the courage, lonely and alone, to leave my love for principle or honor, or truth, or right and morality. Can honor and truth and right triumph really over love? Was the book always thought funny by those who are not cynics, but realists?

I don't think most modern Americans ever once have had to muster the courage to lose their love for honor and right. I know the Patriots did.

One book that pissed me off: Crunchy Cons, by Rod Dreher. He's a liberal at heart who hates the average person.

One book you have been meaning to read: State of Fear. Mark loved it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Pamela said...

In my tottering old age here I have to admit I have never read Jane Eyre. I dont' know why. I'll put that on my todo list for this winter. Maybe I've been too much of a light weight.

I rememember YEAAAARS ago attemtping to read "And Ladies of the Club" I FORCED my way half way through and gave up. I never understood why it was a bestseller. Then I read "The Persian Pickle Club" and loved it. Of course it was probably 1/10th the size of the former.

ps. I got that tag, too. I've learned a little about everyone who has posted it.

10:38 AM  
Blogger Joubert said...

Jane Eyre is also one of my favorites. God alone knows how anyone could think it's funny - but then liberals are not sane.

3:54 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

I just read Lamb a few months ago -- hilarious!

3:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home