Friday, December 08, 2006

Reclining in the arms of the sphinx



My favorite Christmas painting, isn't a Christmas painting, but instead Luc Olivier Merson's rendering of the Holy Family's Flight into Egypt.

I prefer to think that the sphinx in the painting isn't just some small sphinx statue, but the acutal sphinx of the valley of the kings. The enormous sphinx in actual size.

The Mother of God reclines in its arms because she and Her Son are not limited by space and time. They dominate space and time just as she dominates the old order that created the sphinx.

3 Comments:

Blogger Pamela said...

I've not seen that painting before.
I keep looking at the donkey -- I guess it is supposed to look tired ...

I'm going to chew on your third paragraph for awhile.

12:52 AM  
Blogger Walker said...

I like the donkey, too. He's sort of unaware of the drama around him. The face of the sphinx is kind of pleading.

9:07 AM  
Blogger Joubert said...

I had never seen that before. It is strange and beautiful and bitter-sweet.

1:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home