Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Pain.

To goodness and wisdom we
only make promises; pain we
obey. ~ Marcel Proust

Funny that quote should come from Proust. But I think it is a most Christian quote. Pain we obey. Because pain is a teacher, motivator, healer. Pain makes us cautious and bold.

I am reminded very powerfully this week the motivating power of pain. Our house burned Sunday. In the space of 4 minutes our house was lost, but it still took the firemen five hours to put it out.

Should God have stilled the wind to make the fire not spread? Should God have prevented the spark? Should God have changed the molecules in our water so that our water in particular wouldn't freeze?

Should God take the smell of smoke from our clothes and hair?

Is it the job of God to make everyone live pain free?

No. Just no. I don't demand that God make my life painfree. I've read that children who can't feel pain are horribly deformed by their teen years. They repeatedly hurt themselves.

Pain. You gotta love it. You gotta love God for allowing it. And this comes from someone who has had a little taste of it this week.

----
I wrote the above on the comments section of one of Chas' posts. He refers to a book that asks "In a world where religion seems to grow increasingly irrelevant "The Shack" wrestles with the timeless question, "Where is God in a world so filled with unspeakable pain?"

9 Comments:

Blogger Joubert said...

Walker, I am so sorry to hear about the fire - especially about having to put the dogs in a kennel.

Our home was burned to the ground when I was a kid and it was our dog who woke us up in time to get out.

Volunteer fireman truly are heroes.

10:45 AM  
Blogger Walker said...

Thanks Patrick. It's going to take months to have a house. I am hoping the insurance company will move a mobile home into our 2 acre fence so that the dogs can come home. (and so we can take care of the cats because the cats won't move!)

10:50 AM  
Blogger Junebug said...

I will be praying for you. We will be visiting my brother and family on Christmas night and I will ask them to pray for you too. He is a pastor. I pray things go quickly and smoothly with the insurance so you can move back close within your property.

11:27 AM  
Blogger Jean said...

HB sent me.

Glad yourselves are ok, at least.
and the critters.

May the rebuilding and regrouping go as smoothly as possible.

12:01 PM  
Blogger Gayle said...

I'm so sorry to hear about this, Walker! Dang! I'm very thankful though that you and yours are okay.

I've had two housefires over the years. It's horrible! My heart goes out to you.

I lost a rental to fire on Sunday. It was my parent's home in Nevada at one time, but they passed on years ago. The lady renting was gone for the day. The fire is still being investigated and the structure was insured but her stuff wasn't. She's in an upbeat mood though because she found out how many friends she had that rallied around her.

I know that you will get through this, but it's not something you will ever forget.

Volunteer firemen managed to save most of our home when we had our fires. They are awesome!

Blessings.

12:37 PM  
Blogger Bob said...

If I lived in Indiana, I could tow a servicable trailer right onto your property, and hook it all up.

About all I can do out here is keep youin my thoughts, and so, I will.

11:02 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

Sometimes I think God is a watch keeper of time.

He doesn't interfere with very many of the consequences of being human, of living in an imperfect world.

He did interfere with the final consequence, tho.

In the meantime -- I don't know what to say other than I ache for you. As for prayers - will you Email something very specific you need and I will concentrate on that.

12:00 AM  
Blogger Cielo said...

Oh Walker, I am so sorry! We've never had a fire, but my grandmother died in a house fire. Happy to know you and yours are ok.

You're so right about pain. I've lived the lesson through fibromyalgia to the point where, now, I'm not sure how I'd function without the pain.

People w/ leprosy lose the ability to feel pain as well. There's a place in the Dominican Republic where we visit a leprosareum and get the chance to share human contact w/ people who are shunned by their own families. It's a gift, to be able to share our pains.

Prayers for peace and comfort for your family.

4:18 PM  
Blogger Fish-2 said...

Walker, I'm so sorry to hear this. It's a blessing all got out okay, but such destruction doesn't just gut a house, it guts your lives. The pictures, momentoes and memories of your lives. It's a little death because at death we must leave it all behind anyway. The difference is at death we don't care. We will put you in our prayers.

10:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home