Tuesday, November 07, 2006

'You done voted!'

Proof that there is no literacy test for running polling places.

Mark Wayne and I got to the polls earlyish. There was no line. We showed our ids. And there on the voter list was my name with the pronouncement that I voted Absentee.

"You done voted!" proclaimed the genius running the polls.

"I didn't 'done vote,'" I explained, my sarcasm lost on the assembled Democrats running the polling place. "You better check your list."

While she was doing that -- an arduous process that involves reading -- the head Democrat in charge explained:

"They is coming out to fix one of the machines because some tried to vote and they was having trouble."

Really.

The assembled poll workers managed to figure out I hadn't 'done voted' and allowed me to do so. Thank God these illiterates don't actually have to count the votes.

Interestingly, the exact same thing, complete with illiterate pronouncements, happened to my coworker.

5 Comments:

Blogger Pamela said...

press 1 for English
press 2 for Spanish
press 3 for po-dunk

10:29 AM  
Blogger Walker said...

Snort!

10:36 AM  
Blogger kevinwillis.net said...

I done voted, myself. Poll workers did not seem exceptionally bright. But not too much trouble. I am less enthused about the new voting machines. Building voting machines based on off-the-shelf technology, especially when that technology is Windows.

6:08 PM  
Blogger Fish-2 said...

Glad you done got to vote. Our daughter moved here earlier from Arizona, filled out a voter registration card in town then found out some bozzo had never forwarded it to the appropriate office so she could not vote.

6:20 PM  
Blogger lilfeathers2000 said...

Thank God these illiterates don't actually have to count the votes.
Ditto.
Have a Blessed rest of the week.

8:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home