Saturday, March 24, 2007

We just don't like getting pushed around

Ben Stein: "People do not like getting pushed around. Hard-working people do not like getting pushed around by criminals. People who pay their taxes don't like getting pushed around by welfare queens. People who go to church don't like getting pushed around by atheists and the ACLU.

"(People don't like) the condescension and contempt shown to 'the great silent majority' (as Pat Buchanan put it) by the criminals, the cheats, and the beautiful people."

That really sums it up, doesn't it?

What kind of hubris does it take?

When I read the Ben Stein quote I think of the Dixie Chicks who are too good for their own audience; who think their audience, in order to be worthy of the them, the Dixie Chicks, have to shut up and be lectured to and, indeed, accept their politics before they listen to their music!

You know, the privileged set (read: liberals) just imagine that their politics should be everywhere. I was part of a genealogy study, designed to be about nothing but genealogy -- you had to PAY to be part of this study -- and the organizer of the study felt that it was his RIGHT to constantly lecture his study participants on his liberal political views. Moreover, when I pointed out that I didn't pay to be part of his political life, he got mad: It was not only his right to say what he wanted, mixing politics with DNA, but by God, I MUST listen and I MUST like it.

Really, what kind of assumption of privilege does that require?

Like most conservatives, I keep my political opinions relatively private. I never mix my opinions with business and yet liberals simply don't have these same scruples.

They think they should be able to push you around and you better damn well like it, too!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

there are six in my office.
five conservatives and one liberal

None of the five of us do or say anything political or moral views in from of number six.
And yet, number six makes his views well known.

Sometimes I think the liberal mind set is blinded by masterbation of ideas.

4:28 PM  
Blogger kevinwillis.net said...

I've been in situations were people who were politically conservative were blabbermouths about it, but they had many other personality flaws, too, and did not (in my opinion), conduct their lives in a conservative manner, but were simply rock-ribbed conservatives to the degree they thought it benefitted them personally, and probably would have been hardcore libs, if that would have served them better. And I've known very nice libs, many of them, who were fairly restrained in their political gabbing.

The offense that liberals take that anybody disagrees with them, though, does blow my mind. They just don't understand how an intelligent or decent human being could possibly differ from them ideologically.

I can't tell you how many liberals have told me, over the years: "I can't believe you're a conservative. You're so nice!" or "I can't believe you're a conservative! You're so smart."
What they are saying is that they can't believe that anyone who isn't a banjo plucking retard disagrees with them on anything. And, for you moderate Republicans and "can't we all just get along" folks out there, I gotta ask: where is the compromise with that? Where do you compromise with people who think you are either evil, retarded, or both if you don't fall in lockstep with them?

Where you do you compromise with people who are so good and so right on the issue that the only kind of compromise they can allow is either they get 98% of what they want or 100& of what you want, and you can either get 10% of what you want, automatically repealed in six months, or zero percent of what you want, ever, because you are evil and/or retarded so why should you get anything?

How does compromise work there?

11:45 AM  
Blogger kevinwillis.net said...

"98% of what they want or 100%" of what they want, I meant to say.

11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home