Saturday, April 14, 2007

Be afraid be very afraid

For the first time in my life I find myself in agreement with Rosie O'Donnell. It is not that I watch her make a fool of herself on a daily basis on "The View", but I do hear quotes from her in various other media. I am referring of course to her response to the Don Imus debacle, Rosie opined that the speech police were here and would be coming after her next. For the first time in a long while Ms. O'Donnell actually made sense to me.
I have heard that certain "conservative" websites are indeed calling for Ms. O'Donnell to be fired and I believe that they have every right to do just that, however I must caution against political correctness movements of any stripe.
Don Imus was indeed almost as liberal as Rosie. I watched him on M.S.N.B.C. every chance I got simply because he had great musical guests, but I found myself muting the sound or flipping the channel when he had some of his mainstream reporter friends on (which included almost every N.B.C. reporter there was, including Tim Russert, and David Gregory). He regularly referred to Vice President Cheney as a "war criminal", endorsed and campaigned for John Kerry in 2004. Rosie has reason to fear; Someone on her side of the political spectrum has been taken down.
The day after the firing of Mr. Imus was announced however, the odious Keith Olberman came out with his list of those he thought should be fired for "hateful speech." Surprise, surprise. They were all conservatives. How can Mr. Olberman not know that he himself is on many a list of people to be fired by the speech police?
Isn't it time we grew up and accepted responsibility for what we listen to or choose to view? If the language on a radio show offends me, I don't listen. If a certain movie or T.V. show offends me, I don't watch. If the lyrics of a song offend me, I don't buy it. I do not start a boycott. I do not protest in the street. I do not demand that certain people be fired. I choose to let the market place weed out those who do not measure up. Someone said what about the children? THAT IS WHAT PARENTS ARE FOR !
As Rosie O'Donnell said the "speech police are coming. Can the thought police be far behind?"

Mark

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Joe said...

well said

8:06 AM  
Blogger kevinwillis.net said...

While I sympathize with being concerned about political correctness of any stripe, going after the left using the weapons they are attempting to use to stifle conservative thought is a response to their scorched earth policy.

I do believe that they should know that if they intend to go nuclear and take no prisoners, that conservatives and libertarians will do the same. I would not go after Rosie because I am offended by her speech--I would go after her to (a) demonstrate the hypocrisy of the left, and the race-baiters and (b) to demonstrate, always, that the sword is double-edged.

If one side behaves and conducts itself in a civil and open-minded manner in this debate, that side will be crushed.

BTW, for those interested, I cover my opinion the Imus thing here.

10:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home