Friday, April 06, 2007

Finding a housekeeper, Part X

When last we left the housekeeper saga, I fired my housekeeper because

1.) She was on welfare and since I was already paying her to lay around, I didn't think I should also pay her to clean my house. I mean, she should clean my house for free, and

2.) she was planning to sue her landlord whose only crime was to own property that he foolishly let her and the government rent. I was on his side.

Since then, I've been through, God only knows how many, housekeepers. I had one I paid $11 an hour for 7 hours of work on my home and business each week. She quit because I didn't pay her enough. I called her up and said: Hell, just tell me how much you want... I'LL PAY! But to no avail. That was a tough loss.

Then I had a parade of people who worked for me once, at $15 an hour. One was a divorced mother getting by on child support and welfare. I fed the girl lunch, and complimented her on marginal work, wrote her a check for $82.50 and she didn't show up the next week!

HELL HOW MUCH DO I NEED TO PAY TO GET SOMEONE TO RUN THE FREAKING VACUUM FOR GOD'S SAKE? It's not like the place is trashed out.

So yesterday I called an ad I saw in the paper for MIRACLE HOUSECLEANING. I'm thinking I don't need a miracle, I just need the vacuum run and the floor swept -- Come to think of it, I guess that would be a miracle.

The girl came over in her brand new SUV, checked out the house and office and quoted $45 -- a bargain! Had me sign papers, explained that her children are on welfare (SHE'S DRIVING A BRAND NEW SUV) and this was her new business. Told me I'd see her at 9:30 am today.

It's 10 am. SHE ISN'T HERE! Guess the welfare checks came or something.

UPDATE: 11 am -- SHE'S HERE! Only 1.5 hours late for her first day on the job!

UPDATE: My new housekeeper did a very good job. Of course, she left in the middle of it to pick up her daughter and stayed gone for damn near two hours, thus stretching out her 4 hour job with me to 8 hours. But the joint got vacuumed and I didn't have to do it. I wonder if she'll show up next week? And... at what time? You know these starving Welfare mothers... you know how they struggle to fill their SUVs with gas and the like... it takes time out of the day.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger kevinwillis.net said...

Best of luck. Those are the kinds of jobs Americans just won't do.

Have you tried Merry Maids or something like? I used a service like that for a while, but it didn't do any good (my wife has to actually clean stuff to believe it's clean, so . . .). But they showed up on time and ran the vacuum and mopped the floors.

10:58 AM  
Blogger Gayle said...

I remember the first post you did about firing your housekeeper.

Dang! She is on welfare and driving a brand new SUV?! I don't even drive a new car and have never been on welfare in my life. I guess in order to get a new car I should go on welfare. GRRRR!

It will be interesting to know whether she showed up or not. I also think $11.00 is an awful lot to pay a housekeeper. Good Grief! There are secretaries working in my part of the country for less than that!

Have a great Easter weekend. :)

10:58 AM  
Blogger Pamela said...

ha ha ha.
I haven't had help around house in ages.

The very last one was uh... asked not to come back... I never told her why.
Seems things started disappearing. A towel here, a skirt there,

It's just my own dirt. I can handle living in it.

11:00 AM  
Blogger Walker said...

Thanks for all the sympathy!
Kevin, this town is too small for Merry Maids.
Gayle, I don't have a new car, either. In fact, I can't even afford an SUV.
Pamela, hell at least you have some stuff worth stealing! They never bother to steal anything from me. They all make more money than I do, I think.

11:22 AM  
Blogger Gayle said...

Walker, this is off topic, but I'm answering the question you left on my post. Fish no longer is blogging because he suddenly couldn't get into his blog. It was very weird. He tried everything and then just gave up. :(

I still receive e-mails from him and he seems to be doing fine.

2:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's been discussions about getting someone to come to The Cabana once a week to vacuum and wipe everything down. Problem is that we are anal and would have the clean the house both before and after the maid left. There's also the issue of the money spent on the maid that would be better tasked to buy beer.

9:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home