Wednesday, August 30, 2006

So openminded her brains fell out

I was talking to a young college girl who challenged me: I've heard you say that only Catholics go to heaven.

Oh, I was tempted to roll my eyes. These kids. But I hope I didn't sound sarcastic when I said, "Sure! That's what I think."

She explained to me that I wasn't openminded. In her mind, the way religions should be religious is by not believing anything. So Catholics can't believe they are the only ones in heaven. Neither can Lutherans. Neither can Muslims.

But, I hope I told her, that isn't openminded and that isn't tolerance.

Tolerance is respecting others even though they think they are the only ones in heaven. Tolerance is something you do when confronted with a different belief, not something the believer does.

You can see how this concept is distorted in the neo-liberal mind by just watching Chris Matthews interview Jerry Falwell. It's actually Falwell who absolutely shines with tolerance and acceptance, while Matthews bristles every moment because Falwell believes something he (Matthews) does not!

4 Comments:

Blogger Pamela said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:20 AM  
Blogger Pamela said...

That is an excellent description.
Now if I can just keep it in my memory box long enough to repeat it.



Ps. Speaking of heaven, sure hope Bud is is loving his romps through the meadows - without seizures. Hope you're doing well.

10:21 AM  
Blogger Walker said...

They teach kids to be intolerant in school and then they tell them it is tolerance. No one should send their child to a public school.

I'm still dreaming about killing Bud. I shouldn't have done it.

11:05 AM  
Blogger Gayle said...

Great point, Walker! Fish makes a good point too. :)

I don't know about Bud. Guess I should scroll down and see what's going on.

12:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home