Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Never hire anyone on Welfare


Someone will probably say "But... do you want them to get OFF Welfare? If you do, you should hire them."

Wrong.

In my business, I've learned two things about hiring. The first is never to hire someone on Welfare.

What people don't realize is that Welfare Dumb Dumbs have it really easy -- so easy that they really don't have to work at all, and, when they do work, they undermine real workers.

I'll never forget the year I had a parttime Welfare worker working for me and a fulltime Real Worker. The Welfare woman was having a new Welfare baby at the exact time my Real Worker had her son in the hospital.

Welfare woman told her social worker she was just exhausted and had the vapors by the time she got to the hospital (which was 5 miles away) so the social worker arranged to get her a private room next to her baby for the week her baby was going to be in the hospital. Kind of like a room at the Hyatt only 20 times more expensive.

Meanwhile, Real Worker was driving an hour a night to a hospital in the next city to be with her son (covered by insurance.)

Real Worker had to get to work the next day and she was genuinely exhausted. Welfare Woman took the opportunity to tell us all about her private room. A subversive example in the office.

It only got worse when Welfare Woman used her "child care tax credits" refund to buy a new car. These credits are free money to Welfare people. Welfare people usually run up debt until they get their annual free money check. Then they either pay off the debt... or they buy a new car. Feh.

When that happened, I vowed never to have another Welfare Woman work for me. You are a fool if you hire them.

5 Comments:

Blogger Gayle said...

"You are a fool if you hire them." Agreed. But there is a slight dilemna here: How to get them off welfare if no one hires them?

That's a puzzle, for sure. :)

11:43 AM  
Blogger Gayle said...

I see you linked me. Thanks! I shall return the favor. :)

11:44 AM  
Blogger Walker said...

It's not my problem how individuals get off Welfare. It's just my problem if they work for me.

You have someone who is working only to get spending money, all of their other needs are taken care of, and they are working next to people who have to buy their own food, pay their own rent, pay for their own child care, and buy their own cars.

The Welfare worker is so subversive to the rest of the organization that it isn't worth hiring them.

How do they get off Welfare? We could end Welfare.

12:02 PM  
Blogger Walker said...

Thanks for the link, Gayle!

Are you episcopalian? Or Lutheran?

6:34 PM  
Blogger Gayle said...

I am Episcopalian.

And by the way, I think ending Welfare would be a great idea. But I also think it's not going to happen any time soon.

1:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home